Friday, September 30, 2011

Don't be so obtuse

“Mom, I have another one of those painful pea sized lumps in my armpit.”  That was the text I received one very nondescript and up to that point uneventful Friday morning.  I reply, “Oh, what do you think it is, could it be an ingrown hair? “  She answers, “I don’t know! But why would I get three ingrown hairs so quickly and why all at the same time.”  Three!?  Now, I was previously calm but at this moment all my senses start to peak as I ask; “well what exactly does it feel like and have you done a breast exam, do you feel anything especially on that side?”  This is where the texting stops; my phone rings, I answer and hear the words that will stick with me forever.  “How do you do a breast exam?”  My heart sank, not out of disappointment in my precious daughter but with much disdain for myself. Our family medical history has its share of stories of breast cancer, all ending in radical mastectomies.  How could I not know she was not aware of this possibly life saving procedure, how could I not make certain she was doing this with regularity; how could I be so obtuse! 

 I walked her through the process over the phone carefully describing the intricacies of the exam.  I remember being thorough in my explanation and she listened carefully.  She seemed very nervous until she discovered another problem; now she was terrified and I was frozen.  Only seconds passed but in that time I replayed her entire childhood thinking of her again in my protective arms.  She is my firstborn, and I much too carefully shielded her from the dangers of germs and disease from birth to at least the end of middle school.  High school was different, she knew everything by then and in her, often rolling eyes, I had no more to teach her.   There were health classes in middle school discussing the menstrual cycle and in high school, a verbally gifted science teacher shielded her class from none of the health risks of the outside world especially in the realm of STD’s.  I remember driving home, while my daughter relayed the teachings of the day with some level of repulsion.  Silently I listened all the while thinking I should thank this woman for her frankness and straightforward attitude toward such a sensitive subject.  

Her class provided an in-depth argument for abstinence and birth control;  I never thought to ask if they taught anything about breast health.  Appropriately timed appointments were made to protect her overall reproductive health; in those appointments she was examined using BSE (breast self exam) techniques but I never thought to ask if they showed her how to do it herself.  These memories flashed through my mind until she softly spoke “so what do I do now?” Hearing the fear and trepidation in her voice I immediately snapped to, kept a calm demeanor and together we took control of the situation and formed a plan.  
Looking back at that stressed filled day I now realize the importance of following through with important health routines.  Although a BSE is not a major indicator of breast cancer for women under 20 years of age or under 40 for that matter; learning how to perform this test can be extremely important if only to familiarize yourself with your body. Women who choose to do BSE should have their technique reviewed by their physician and nurse. If you developed a problem today would you be able to answer truly personal questions posed by your physician regarding your breasts.  

According to the American Cancer Society: “…performing the exam regularly, you get to know how your breasts normally look and feel and you can more readily detect any signs or symptoms if a change occurs, such as development of a lump, swelling, skin irritation or dimpling, nipple pain or retraction (turning inward), redness or scaliness of the nipple or breast skin, or a discharge other than breast milk. Should you notice any changes you should see your health care provider as soon as possible for evaluation. Remember that most of the time, however, these breast changes are not cancer. “
According to the American Cancer Society you are at high risk if you meet the following criteria.  
  • Have a known BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation
  • Have a first-degree relative (parent, brother, sister, or child) with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation, but have not had genetic testing themselves
  • Have a lifetime risk of breast cancer of 20% to 25% or greater, according to risk assessment tools that are based mainly on family history (such as the Claus model - see below)
  • Had radiation therapy to the chest when they were between the ages of 10 and 30 years
  • Have Li-Fraumeni syndrome, Cowden syndrome, or hereditary diffuse gastric cancer, or have first-degree relatives with one of these syndromes  

I have to say I was shocked after reading this list. With regard to my own history I was an asthmatic from the age of 10 and I have had my share of chest x-rays.  So given the information based on high risk I should be more diligent in consideration of my increased odds and combat the disease for as long as possible.  

In the SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2007 includes Lifetime Risk Tables (PDF), average American woman’s risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer is:
  • o    from age 30 through age 39 . . . . . . 0.43 percent (often expressed as "1 in 233")
  • o    from age 40 through age 49 . . . . . . 1.45 percent (often expressed as "1 in 69")
  • o    from age 50 through age 59 . . . . . . 2.38 percent (often expressed as "1 in 42")
  • o    from age 60 through age 69 . . . . . . 3.45 percent (often expressed as "1 in 29")

With deep optimism I went searching for more information regarding breast cancer in young women hoping to find proof that it simply cannot exist in young breast tissue.  My hopes were soon dashed.  After visiting the “Young Survival Coalition” website I learned there are quite a few young women affected by breast cancer.  http://www.youngsurvival.org/   I also read the many “Survivor stories” and found more than a few incidences of breast cancer were detected by performing a Breast Self Exam.  This simple exam may not be the best indicator of cancer but it is something we can do ourselves, at no cost, with routine and in the privacy of our own home.  However, I must stress the importance of making it a routine and an immediate follow through to a physician if anything out of the ordinary is found.  I also recommend having a “Clinical Breast Exam” performed by your doctor at every physical and more often if you meet any of the “high risk” criteria. 

 Early detection and prompt treatment can significantly improve a woman's chances of surviving breast cancer. A high percentage of women, whose breast cancer is found in early stage, will survive.  BREASTCANCER.ORG reports:  “About 39,840 women in the U.S. were expected to die in 2010 from breast cancer, though death rates have been decreasing since 1990. These decreases are thought to be the result of treatment advances, earlier detection through screening, and increased awareness.” http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/understand_bc/statistics.jsp

You will find much material either online or at your doctor’s office with information on how to prevent cancer.  The President's Cancer Panel recommends buying meat free of antibiotics and added hormones, which are suspected of causing endocrine problems, including cancer. The report also advises that you purchase produce grown without pesticides or wash conventionally grown food thoroughly to remove residues.”  You may also learn that incidences of breast cancer have decreased since the reduction of Hormone therapy and tobacco usage.  I encourage you all to read in its entirety the President’s Cancer Panel report “Reducing Environmental Risk: What we can do now.” .  http://deainfo.nci.nih.gov/advisory/pcp/annualReports/pcp08-09rpt/PCP_Report_08-09_508.pdf

It's not my intent to be a fear monger and create havoc with my words; instead I see myself as a motivator. I found it took more time and effort to absorb information on a subject so well covered than it did to find or read it; but I am now in the know. Through my fear and fervor to discover what could possibly be wrong with my darling daughter, I learned. 

I no longer feel obtuse regarding the subject of breast cancer. I no longer feel scared or out of control. I realize I cannot stop cancer from forming in my loved ones or myself, but I can be an integral member of a growing community who is learning more and more about the risks of cancer and prevention techniques such as diet and Breast Self Exam. 

While we are not yet at the point of eradicating this terrible disease, we can lessen the odds of getting cancer and at the very least we can learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment